“What’s most interesting to me about the future of technology? Reimagining every human behavior and every human experience through the lens of a mobile device,” declares Megan Quinn, an Investment Partner at Kleiner Perkins, a venture capital firm famous for making early investments in companies …
New program to offer founders unrivalled access to product development expertise; Bing Gordon to spearhead as Chief Product Officer
MENLO PARK, CA – December 11, 2013 – Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers today announced the launch of KPCB ProductWorks, a program that provides entrepreneurs the intensive mentoring, recruiting and technical assistance needed to create outstanding consumer, enterprise and digital health products and services.
“Great products are at the core of great companies,” said KPCB General Partner Ted Schlein. “Even the most brilliant founders need help refining, prioritizing and executing on their product vision. With ProductWorks, our goal is to deepen and extend our support to entrepreneurs who are building stellar products.”
KPCB also announced that Bing Gordon, General Partner at KPCB, has been named the firm’s Chief Product Officer. Gordon will lead ProductWorks, bringing nearly two decades of deep, hands-on experience from his previous role as Chief Creative Officer at EA and his ongoing product development work with KPCB portfolio companies. This follows KPCB’s announcement last week that John Maeda, a world-renowned figure recognized for fusing technology with design-thinking, would leave the presidency of the Rhode Island School of Design to join the firm as Design Partner. Maeda will play an important role in ProductWorks by helping entrepreneurs build design DNA into their company cultures.
“We’ve all seen the impact winning products can have in transforming the end user experience and catapulting a company to success. Through ProductWorks, we will leverage proven skills and expertise to help convert the good to great,” said Gordon.
Also supporting the effort will be KPCB General Partner Mike Abbott, former VP of Engineering at Twitter, and Partner Megan Quinn, former head of product at Square.
KPCB ProductWorks is a multi-faceted program that will offer benefits to a broad range of entrepreneurs, both within the KPCB portfolio and to the community at large.
ProductWorks will provide:
Mentorship and learning
• One-on-one product review sessions with a KPCB partner during ProductWorks’ monthly Office Hours at the KPCB San Francisco office
• A series of product workshops led by key industry product managers and visionaries
• Access to Silicon Valley’s top product, design and engineering leaders through intimate events with our Product, Engineering and Design Councils
• Access to a pool of talented young designers, engineers and product managers from the country’s top undergraduate and graduate programs via the KPCB Design, Engineering and Product Fellows programs
• KPCB product meet-ups and happy hours to build community amongst up-and-coming product managers
• A KPCB Insights blog offering real-world advice from KP partners on product management, recruiting and other crucial topics at www.kpcb.com/insights
A blog post from Bing Gordon on KPCB ProductWorks: Introducing KPCB ProductWorks